Quantitative model of strategic performance
Economics and management
Moscow Aviation Institute (National Research University), 4, Volokolamskoe shosse, Moscow, А-80, GSP-3, 125993, Russia
The paper proposes a new quantitative model of strategic performance (QMSP) which is considerably extended in comparison with the original model proposed by M. Hell, S. Vidačić, and Z. Garača. Within the scope of original model linear optimization problem was formulated to find the optimal resource allocation and evaluate strategic performance corresponding to this allocation. In this problem the criterion function was the total level of main strategic objectives’ accomplishment while constraints were dictated by the structure of cause-consequence relationships between strategic objectives and limitations on resource amounts. Objectives and activities were suggested to be linked with one-to-one(zero)relationships. For an objective to reach x percent accomplishment level, corresponding activity has to be implemented the same percent.
We propose to extend the original QMSP so as to take into account three additional conditions which seem reasonable for us:
- Implementation of one strategic activity can influence reaching the set of objectives
- Strategic activities are divided into two groups. The first group is formed byproject activities. If an activity is of project type then it have to be implemented completely (all necessary resources must be spent to its implementation) or not be implemented at all. The second group is formed by process activities. If an activity is of process type then it can be implemented partly depending on resource amounts spent to implementation of this activity (all activities in original model are process activities).
- For each objective several alternative activities (groups of activities) can be specified. Optimization process must enable choosing only one activity (group of activities) which should be implemented.
The new QMSPE was proved to be more suitable for evaluation of aerospace enterprise’s strategic performance. It was applied within strategic planning process of “ESTO-Vacuum”(this company produces vacuum equipment for production of avionics)and demonstrated its high potential as a planning instrument.
Keywords:quantitative model for enterprise’s strategic performance evaluation, problem of optimal resource allocation, , strategic planning, balanced scorecard
- Gradov A.P.Effektivnost' strategii firmy (Efficiency of the firm strategy), Saint Petersburg, Spetsial'naya Literatura, 2006, 414 p.
- Kaplan R., Norton D. Nagrada za blestyashchuyu realizatsiyu strategii. Svyaz' strategii i operatsionnoi deyatel'nosti – garantiya konkurentnogo preimushchestva (Award for excellent implementation of the strategy. Communications strategy and operations is a guarantee of competitive advantage), Moscow, Olimp-Biznes, 2010, 368 p.
- Novikov A.N. Instrumentarii upravleniya finansirovaniem proizvodstvennoi deyatel'nosti predpriyatii aviatsionnoi promyshlennosti (Instruments for production financing in aircraft enterprises),Candidate’s thesis, Moscow, MAI, 2008, 171 p.
- Razvitie aviatsionnoi promyshlennosti Rossii na 2013–2025 gody. Gosudarstvennaya programma Rossijskoj federacii (Development of Russian aircraft industry 2013–2025. Russian Government Program), Moscow, Russian Ministry of Industry and Trade, 2012, 337 p., available at: www.minpromtorg.gov.ru/reposit/minprom/ministry/fcp/10/GP_RAP_V72.pdf(accessed 25.04.2013)
- Manturov D.V., Klochkov V.V. Elektronnyi zhurnal “Trudy MAI”, 2012, no. 53, available at: www.mai.ru/science/trudy/published.php?ID=29364 (accessed 25.04.2013)
- Hell M., Vidačić S., Garača Z. Management, 2009, vol.14, no.2, pp. 21–42, available at:hrcak.srce.hr/file/74195 (accessed 25.04.2013)
- Shelupanova P.A. Elektronnyi zhurnal “Upravlenie jekonomi cheskimi sistemami”, 2011, vol. 35, no.11, available at: uecs.ru/uecs-35-352011/item/755-2011-11-03-07-15-57 (accessed 25.04.2013)
- Tarasova E.V., Sapfirov A.O. Vestnik Moskovskogo aviatsionnogo instituta, 2010, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 200–203.
- Rodrigues R.R., Alfaro J.J., Ortiz A. Computers in Industry, 2009, vol. 60, pp. 104–113.
- Yershov D.M., Babenko E.A., Skorodumov S.V. Usage of interval cause-effect relationship coefficients in the quantitative model of strategic performance, Croatian Operational Research Review, 2003, vol. 3, pp. 176–189, available at: http://www.hdoi.hr/images/stories/crorr.vol.3 (accessed 25.04.2013)
- Saaty T.L. Prinyatie reshenii pri zavisimostyakh i obratnykh svyazyakh: Analiticheskie seti (Decision Making with Dependence and Feedback: The Analytic Network Process), Moscow, LKI, 2008, 360 p.
- Glover F. Management Science, 1975, vol. 22, no.4, pp. 455–460.
- Wilbaut C., Hanafi S. European Journal of Operation Research, 2009, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 62–74.
- Uchitel' Yu.G., Uchitel' M.Yu. SWOT-analiz i sintez – osnova formirovaniya strategii organizatsii (SWOT-analysis and synthesis as a basis for building organization strategy), Moscow, Librokom, 2010, 328 p.
- Ershov D.M., Skorodumov S.V. Modernizatsiya i innovatsii v aviatsii i kosmonavtike (Modernisation and innovation in aviation and cosmonautics ), Moscow, MAI-PRINT, 2010, 394 p.