About airfoil shapes spline parameterization
Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute named after N.E. Zhukovsky, TsAGI, 1, Zhukovsky str., Zhukovsky, Moscow Region, 140180, Russia
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to describe a new general approach for airfoil shapes parameterization. Applications to airfoil optimization are also discussed.
Design/methodology/approach – The concept of a base airfoil spline which allows approximating a contour of an airfoil with necessary and sufficient geometrical accuracy is entered. The concept of an aerodynamic airfoil spline which allows approximating a contour of an airfoil with accuracy sufficient for problems of aerodynamic design is entered.
Findings – The results of numerical solving an inverse problem for helicopter and transonic airfoils demonstrate the effectiveness of the established method for optimization of airfoil performance. The results are verified by RANS calculations. All possibilities of technique will be seen in further researches.
Originality/value – The paper provides a new general airfoil geometry description. The advantage of this technique over the other parameterization methods is its generality and simplicity. Just ten design variables are enough to describe an arbitrary airfoil in optimization processes considered.
Keywords:airfoil, spline, optimization, designing
- Sobieczky H. Parametric Airfoils and Wings. Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics, Vieweg Verlag, 1998, vol. 68, pp.71-88.
- Samareh J.A. Survey of Shape Parameterization Techniques for High-Fidelity Multidisciplinary Shape Optimization. AIAA Journal, 2001, vol. 39, no. 5, pp.877-884.
- Robinson G. M., Keane A. J. Concise Orthogonal Representation of Supercritical Airfoils. Journal of Aircraft, 2001, vol. 38, no. 3, pp.580-583.
- Song W., Keane A.J. A Study of Shape Parameterization Airfoil Optimization. Proceedings of the 10th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics N.Y., 2004, AIAA-2004-4482.
- Padula S., Li W. Options for Robust Airfoil Optimization Under Uncertainty. Proceedings of the 9th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Symposium, 2002, Atlanta GA, AIAA-2002-5602.
- Hicks R. M., Henne P. A. Wing design by numerical optimization. Journal of Aircraft, 1978, vol. 15, pp. 407-412.
- Kulfan, B. M., Universal Parametric Geometry Representation Method , CST, Proceedings of the 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics N.Y., 2007, AIAA 2007-0062.
- Samareh J. A. Aerodynamic Shape Optimization Based on Free-Form Deformation, Proceedings of the 10th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics N.Y., 2004, AIAA 2004-4630.
- Brenda M. K., Bussoletti J. E. Fundamental Parametric Geometry Representations for Aircraft Component Shapes, Proceedings of the 11th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference. Portsmouth, Virginia, 2006, AIAA-2006-6948.
- Nikolsky A. A. Some aspects of helicopter airfoil design, Proceedings of the Twenty first European Rotorcraft Forum, Saint- Peterburg,1995, Paper, no.17,(II), pp. 1-8.
- Nikolsky A. A. Uchenye zapiski TsAGI, 2008, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 5-8.
- Morrison J. H. A Compressible Navier-Stokes Solver with Two-Equation and Reynolds Stress Turbulence Closure Models, 1992, NASA CR-4440, pp.2674-2682.